“Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all of one’s lifetime.” – Mark Twain
Where would you go if you could go anywhere in the world?
After a series of life decisions (to be explained in a future post), we were faced with this very question. Our default answer, ‘Hawaii’, just didn’t cut it this time. Did we want to climb to Machu Picchu, ride on the Trans-Siberian Railway, or see the Sistine Chapel? At the end of the day, we decided an epic journey through Europe was the way to go. Last year, we dipped our toes in the water with a 10-day trip through Ireland. We got just enough of a taste of the culture (and food!) to know that we wanted to see much, much more of Europe.
I’ll write some posts down the line that will explain how we came to our final itinerary decisions, but in general the path we are expecting to travel includes the following countries and experiences:
- Dipping into geothermal waters in Iceland
- Exploring England and Scotland, including Edinburgh’s annual festival
- House-sitting in Paris
- Staying with friends in the French Alps
- Exploring the eastern coast of the Adriatic Sea, including Croatia and more
- Spending ample time in Tuscany and Cinque Terre in Italy
- Seeing some of the world’s great cities, including London, Edinburgh, Paris, Prague, Budapest, Rome, Venice, Florence, and Barcelona
The really exciting thing is that, while some of the places we are staying are set in stone, we still have latitude in where we go, what we eat (my favorite topic), and what we experience. Please leave a comment if you have any fun ideas!
We’re excited to share these experiences and more with you via this blog. T-minus 48 hours until the adventure begins!